Software Technical Architect
Deadline for application: 1 September 2022
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Reporting to: Head of IT
Type of contract: Full time/Permanent, (option to WFH two days per week)
About Oak Foundation:
Oak Foundation (www.oakfnd.org) commits its resources to address issues of global social and environmental concern, particularly those that have a major impact on the lives of the disadvantaged. With offices in Europe, Africa and North America, Oak Foundation makes grants to organisations located in approximately 40 countries worldwide.
About the Information Technology Team
The IT Team at Oak is a team of dedicated professionals that collaborate as a single entity in which each team member focuses on his/her own specialties and expertise. We are gearing the organisation towards a cloud-based stack and focus our effort on (business) functionality and security. The aim is to enable Oak to become a truly digital organisation, in which enterprise architecture is central to our approach.
The Oak Foundation has invested heavily in ‘cloudifying’ our infrastructure. In terms of technology, the following systems make up our environment:
- IAM: Okta and hybrid a/d;
- Digital Workplace: full Microsoft Office 365 Cloud (+PowerAutomate), Zoom
- Various SaaS solutions for HR, Finance/expenses, project/knowledge/asset management, e-signature …
- CRM/grants management: Salesforce with Nintex, Heroku, …
- On premise Windows Server / Linux Ubuntu & Suze / QNAP NAS
- Sophos Security Appliances and Next Gen Endpoint Security
Purpose of the role
Reporting to the Head of IT, the Technical Architect will provide substantive specialist support in order to implement the overall IT strategy.
The Technical Architect will serve as the primary person of reference on the continuous development, implementation, assurance, evaluation and adaptation of the foundation’s overall technology stack and its architecture. The purpose of this activity is to translate business needs into performant and coherent technology solutions with agility.
Under the strategic direction and in consultation with the Head of IT, the main responsibilities include:
- Technology & Architecture 20%
- Establish, develop and maintain the organisation’s enterprise view of our technology stack and architecture, guidelines and standards;
- Maintain consistency across the various components of the technology stack, including server-side resources, client-side devices, software, middleware, master data management and telecommunication solutions;
- Perform analysis on technological problems/solutions in consideration of the EA roadmap, organisation-wide needs and opportunities;
- Development & Implementation 65%
- Lead development and implementation efforts (technically);
- Analyse fits/gaps between needs/problems/ideas and (tech) solutions; research ‘buy or build’ options;
- Identify building blocks in building up our solutions and create technical designs;
- Provide guidance and assurance on coding, implementation and technical best practices while keeping an eye on risk and quality considerations;
- (Hands-on) development/implementation of solutions and/or components;
- Keep abreast of evolutions & innovations in your functional areas: enterprise architecture, operational excellence, technical analysis, prototyping, etc.
- A post secondary education degree in Electronic Engineering (Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronic Engineering, Multimedia Technology, …)
- At least 7 years of relevant and extensive technology experience as a senior developer, architect, technical lead analyst or similar role, ideally in the non-profit sector;
- Qualifications or demonstrable work experience in:
- Programming/development & technical analysis (in service-oriented architectures);
- Salesforce (at least 3 years desirable);
- A wide range of IT systems (typically SaaS) and of providing consultancy and support;
- Qualifications or demonstrable work experience is preferrable in:
- producing functional and technical designs, prototypes, proof-of-concepts;
- middleware, API integrations, service/data gateways;
- data(base) design, (master) data management, data architecture;
- Qualifications or demonstrable work experience is an additional asset:
- conducting impact assessments for technology changes and making suitable recommendations;
- Enterprise architecture; Cloud architecture/platforms;
- working in an agile environment and implementing agile ways of working;
- Proven ability to:
- effectively problem solve in a logical and structured manner;
- manage stakeholders at all levels, internally and externally, committed to delivering a high level of customer service;
- decompose complex technical challenges into smaller units;
- think conceptually and strategically;
- explain technical issues clearly, proficient written and verbal communication skills in English (other languages are an asset);
- A commitment to continuous learning and acquiring new skills;
- Knowledge of / exposure to Microsoft Office 365 and Salesforce highly desirable;
- Capable of conceptual thinking while not afraid to get hands-on;
- A commitment to Oak’s organisational values;
- Applicants must have EU/Swiss citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland;
How to apply
To apply, please send your curriculum vitae and a covering letter here. Please note that we will only be contacting shortlisted candidates.
By submitting your application, you confirm that you have read and understood our job applicant’s data privacy notice.
Oak Foundation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, as detailed in our child safeguarding policy. We expect all staff to share this commitment. Please note that the successful candidate will undergo reference checks and be required to provide a police record prior to starting employment.