Call for Proposals: In search of a consultant to conduct a landscape and evidence-based review for the Prevent Child Sexual Abuse Programme’s grant-making strategy in Switzerland
Deadline for application: 20 November 2020
Overall goal: Conduct a landscape and evidence-based review on the prevention of sexual violence against adolescents, with a focus on LGBTI youth, in Switzerland and develop recommendations for a grant-making strategy in Switzerland
The Prevent Child Sexual Abuse Programme (Prevent CSA) works to end child sexual abuse and exploitation, online and off-line. We promote solutions and advance actions to strengthen prevention, and we strive to end impunity and create strong accountability for child sexual abuse where it occurs. In addition to the overarching values of the Oak Foundation, the Prevent CSA is inspired and guided by our Trustee and by our effort to be evidence-informed in seeking change at scale to prevent child sexual abuse and exploitation.
Over the last 19 years, Switzerland has been a priority country for the Prevent CSA. In Switzerland, we have supported numerous organisations implementing programmes to: protect children from abuse and violence; provide support to child victims and their families; promote men’s and boys’ engagement in gender equality; and promote healthy relationships between adolescents.
The Prevent CSA is now exploring a legacy grant-making strategy in Switzerland about prevention of sexual violence among adolescents with a focus on LGBTI youth.
The Prevent CSA currently funds three major projects across Switzerland. These projects focus on: promoting comprehensive sexuality education in schools (Santé Sexuelle Suisse); building healthy relationships; and preventing intimate violence in dating among adolescents (Sortir Ensemble et Se Respecter, Radix). In addition, these project focus on making youth associations more inclusive for LGBTI youth and preventing social exclusion, discrimination, and all forms of violence and abuse against LGBTI youth (Conseil Suisse des Activités de Jeunesse & Milchjugend). The Prevent CSA also supports a cantonal project to prevent social exclusion and entry into sexual exploitation of LGBTI youth (Le Refuge, Dialogai, Genève).
Purpose of the assignment:
The consultant will conduct a scan of adolescent platforms and youth networks, key actors working on adolescent issues (implementing organisations, donors, state partners), and off-line and online national and regional projects, including research that seeks to prevent sexual violence among adolescents and sexual violence against LGBTI youth.
On the basis on this scan, the consultant will identify key field orientations and projects, and develop grant-making recommendations to help the Prevent CSA advance the prevention of sexual violence and abuse among adolescents in Switzerland.
- Grant assessment and review
- Provide an overview of Prevent CSA investments in adolescents in Switzerland and an overview of plans of the Issues Affecting Women Programme of Oak in this area.
- Explore potential synergies with the Issues Affecting Women Programme’s new strategy in Switzerland (psychological violence on adolescents, gender equity, etc.): How can we leverage investments across the two programmes?
- Current response
- What are the current responses from the federal and cantonal level and from civil society to prevent sexual violence among adolescents? Who does what and where? Focus on evidence-based solutions and advocacy using the “What Works” framework. Link here.
- What are the national, regional, and cantonal adolescent platforms and youth networks that consider the prevention of sexual violence and abuse among adolescents? What are the national, regional, and cantonal LGBTI youth platforms and networks that consider the prevention of sexual violence and abuse against LGBTI youth? And how?
- What is the current research evidence coming from Switzerland? And what are opportunities for implementation?
- Funding overview
- What are the main funding sources in Switzerland for the prevention of sexual violence and abuse among adolescents? What are the main funding sources in Switzerland for the prevention of sexual violence and abuse against LGBTI youth?
- What could be done to influence government funding? Who is working at that level?
- Gaps and opportunities
- What are the needs/opportunities and gaps identified on the prevention of sexual violence and abuse among adolescents and against LGBTI youth?
- What are the systemic and organisational limitations and opportunities to achieve impact and what are the implications for capacity building?
- What would be the catalytic role of Oak regarding sexual violence and abuse among adolescents and against LGBTI youth in Switzerland? Where is there an opportunity to make a significant change over the next 5-7 years?
Position requirements (skills and qualifications of consultant):
- Previous solid experience in strategy development.
- Good knowledge of the children, youth, and women’s sectors in Switzerland and understanding of prevention of sexual abuse against children and youth.
- Understanding of adolescents’ issues, including LGBTI youth issues related to sexual violence.
- Good knowledge of the Swiss context (federalism, role of cantons) in regard to strategy development of grant making at national and regional level.
- English written and oral communication skills, working knowledge of French, knowledge of German/Italian an advantage.
The consultant will work with the support and under the supervision of Florence Jacot (Florence.email@example.com), Programme Officer Prevent CSA.
Length of assignment:
We hope to conduct this work between 1 December 2020 and 26 February 2021.
Payment schedule: We will pay a maximum of CHF 20,000 for this consultancy. We will pay half of the fees up front upon signature of the contract, and the rest upon the delivery of the final deliverables.
- A draft outline and methodology paper (to be reviewed and approved by Oak)
- A 10 – 15 pages report (in English), including an executive summary, with recommendations regarding the catalytic role of the Prevent CSA in Switzerland and funding priorities for Oak.
- A presentation tailored to the Prevent programme Trustee, President, and Director (virtual presentation).
Please send CV and brief proposal, including budget to Florence Jacot, Florence.firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 November 2020.